Thursday 9 May 2013

Spring at last

Something like warmth has returned to Edinburgh although even as I type this at 10.13 on a May morning I am wearing a fleece. There is blossom emerging on my Katy apple tree and beginning to show on its neighbouring Cox's Orange Red. The former should have fruit to eat in September and the latter in October. Our climbing hydrangea seems to have turned green overnight and the lawn has had its first cut.

Bird life remains disappointingly scant although as ever I can hear it around. A couple of substantial trees have been cut down in the gardens behind us and one of those trees used to hold a lot of nests. We do have a raven come round - one of the zoo colony I think and ringed. Also we have jackdaws and a magpie that have learned to use feeders designed for small birds.

More concerningly, I don't know what has happened to the Corstorphine Hill buzzards. Even when I cant see them I can usually hear them and I haven't heard them for 4 to 6 weeks now.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ian, last I saw of them was 27th of April: http://www.wbist.com/archives/1253 - I'm a bit further down the hill and I have a feeling that was a very sunny nice day, probably the last one that's been?

    They maybe sheltering from the rain and eating worms in the wet soil rather than flying high looking for carrion?

    regards
    Gav.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gav. I'm still concerned - usually I would hear them at least once a day even if I can't see them. By now they should have been displaying and pairing off. I'll try and take a walk up there at the weekend and see if there's anything to be seen

      Delete